Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ashlyn McKenzie

Ashlyn McKenzie King was born on September 19, 2009. I was induced at 36 1/2 weeks because my fluids had dropped to a level that the doctor thought could be risky for Ashlyn. For the past month before she was born I had been going to the doctor twice a week for bpps (bio-physical profiles) and nsts (non-stress tests) because her abdomen was measuring a month behind. My doctor was concerned that she was not getting the nutrients that she needed to put on more weight. He said that as long as my fluids did not decrease and she did not show signs of being in distress that he would leave her in until at least 37 weeks because then she would be considered full-term. After she reached full-term he would then reevaluate whether it would be more beneficial for her to stay in the womb or come out where she could receive adequate nutrition and put on more weight.

At my doctor's appointment on Monday, Sept. 13th, the ultrasound and tests showed that Ashlyn was doing well and the doctor predicted that at this point he would not consider inducing me until she reached 38 weeks. This was a huge relief to me because I had a 3 day training for my job coming up that I did not want to miss. However, when I went back to the doctor on Friday, Sept. 18th, my fluids had dropped and Ashlyn was not moving around like she should have been. So the doctor said that he wanted to induce me the next day. To say the least I was caught off guard. I had prepared myself for Ashlyn coming earlier than her due date, but not quite this soon. And of course the one doctor's appointment that Clay could not be at is when I learn that I am going to be induced in less than 24 hours. After the doctor told me this I called Clay to tell him and he left school and came to be with me at the doctor's office. I had a balloon catheter put in me at the doctor's office to help me dialate over night to a 3 or 4. Clay then drove me directly to the hospital to be admitted. At 7 the next morning they started me on pitocin, and at 9:30am the doctor came in to break my water which is when I really started feeling contractions, and by 12:49pm I was the proud mother to a 4lb. 9oz. and 18in. baby girl.

Before Ashlyn was born the nurses had told Clay and I to be prepared for her to have to stay in the NICU since she was premature and so small. But Ashlyn proved to be a fighter. We have no doubt that it is because of the many prayers for Ashlyn by our friends and families that she defied the odds and was perfectly healthy. Clay and I are so thankful for this little miracle that God has blessed us with and love her so, so much already!
Here are some of the pictures of our new family of three!


Ashlyn loves to lay on her daddy's chest. Anytime she is upset she can be placed on his chest and she calms down quickly. She already has him wrapped around her finger!

Sleeping like an angel right after being brought home from the hospital.



Those are just a few of the many that we have taken. There will be more to come later.

1 comment:

The Mosiers said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!! Enjoy this sweet time, they get big so fast!